Everyday mini skirt

Despite near-Arctic temperatures in London for the last few weeks, I’ve been working on a new mint green mini skirt. As part of my plan to refine my skills and make great-fitting clothes (rather than beautifully-made sack dresses), I’ve revisited an old pattern for this make.

skirttop

The pattern

Although I recently vowed never to use a traditional pattern company again, the shape of this Simplicity pattern I bought just over a year ago is perfect for the type of skirt I wanted to make, so thought I should do the sensible thing and re-use it. As I’ve improved slightly over the last year, I found the pattern quite easy to follow, though the number of variations and the order of some of the steps nearly caught me out once or twice. There isn’t a lot to it though, so was really all quite straightforward.

The fabric

The fabric doesn’t have much stretch, isn’t slippy and didn’t fray at all during construction, so was fairly easy to work with – not bad for a rogue fabric bought for £3 from a sale bin! Because it didn’t fray, I haven’t edged the seams. I also didn’t prewash so I’m hoping my hard work won’t (literally) come undone in the washing machine!

The downside is that the fabric is quite thick, which has made some parts quite bulky – particularly the darts and the seams of the facing. I decided to leave out the interfacing. Mostly out of laziness but actually I think it really wasn’t needed with this fabric as it has enough structure to hold its own (. It was also quite difficult to press – , where the extra bulk wouldn’t matter or show so much. Fortunately, after a few rounds of pressing, I think I finally got there!


Update: I have since discovered that the fabric is likely to be Melton cloth or Melton wool. It’s a felted wool (I wasn’t too far off), which means that it will have waterproof qualities – so will be interesting to see how it washes! The fabric was developed in Melton Mowbray and was originally used for fox hunting jackets, but has also been used for the more working class donkey jackets.


The process

The problem with the previous version of this skirt was that it fit at the hips, but was too big at the waist. Trying that skirt on again, I realised I needed to bring it in by 6cms. The skirt has four darts, so I increased each one by 1cm, and came in 1cm more on each side seam. When adding the facings, I measured them against the top of the skirt and cut to the right length.

I’m quite pleased with how the adjustments have turned out. The skirt fits a lot better than the previous version, and looks neat and even from the outside. It could have possibly been a little smaller at the waist, but given that I plan on tucking in jumpers, its probably for the best that there’s a little extra room. I could have also been a little neater with the top of the zip, but it’s fairly neatly tucked in and the zip itself if fairly invisible – so I’m happy enough with that.

skirtfront

skirtback

And here it is! You’re even finally getting a full outfit shot for this skirt, as I think its beauty lies in the fit. I’ve worn it here with my trusty grey Joules Harbour Stripe top  (the same top in the classic white and navy shown here) but think that any neutrals (greys, black, creams – maybe this from Topshop) would go well, and maybe a crisp white t-shirt for summer.

skirtoutfit

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s